Sunday, August 30, 2009

On economical ironing and keeping toast warm!!

A morning with six people and 12 pieces of toast...and who owns (or wants to own) a 12-slice toaster anyway? I think I finally figured out how to keep that toast warm while flipping the flipping omelette, clearing the finished fruit dishes, turning the basil-roasted tomatoes and soaking up the sliced sizzling bacon. Here's what works for me:
I toast the bread, butter it sparingly and wrap it in foil in the oven. The bacon keeps equally well if left to sit in its own juices until serving time. The omelette is uncompromising and demands immediate transfer to a warm plate where it'll last for at least five minutes...did I say five? Just long enough to prep six plates and get them on the table! Now if I can keep my mouth zipped and focus on serving the meal, it will be hot on the table. Bon Appetit!

Now for the other hot task of keeping up with the masses of ironing that sometimes accumulate during the high season, especially in a recession year where one-nighters rarely get turned away. Fortunately for those of you who have wash-lines, high season tends to be in the summer when you can hang the sheets out to dry. I find that folding them double lengthwise gives them a nice "ironed-looking" pleat and gives a great visual cue to laying the sheet in the middle of the bed. If you rely on a dryer for all the drying tasks, try pulling the sheets out after 20 minutes on Regular (hot) dry cycle. They should still be quite damp. Fold them lengthwise (as previously described) then fold lengthwise again. I usually flatten the top part with my hands and believe it or not, when I go to iron I often cannot differentiate between the ironed und un-ironed folded sheets. I wonder if the guests can...BY the way, the best cotton for me is the Pima Cotton...soft, almost wrinkle free, fast-drying...whatmore can you ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment